Sunday, February 19, 2017

Post #4- Willow's Post

Today we went to Middle East International School, where our hosts go. It was definitely not how I expected it. I figured that since the city is so nice, the school would be big. One thing I really liked about the school is how colorful it was on the outside. The layout is really nice. However, the school holds students from kindergarten to senior year of high school. With the amount of students and the size of the school, it was pretty crammed on the inside, especially upstairs where most of the classrooms are. Classes felt very short since they don’t have block scheduling like we do. They were about 45 minutes each. I went to Pre Calc, Chemistry, Arabic, Art, and Psychology with my host. The other two periods we had a study hall to work on assignments from home. Arabic class was taught in Arabic completely so it was fun to try to follow along with what the teacher was saying. Another thing that was interesting is that instead of having a lunch period, they have recess, which is an hour long. During this period, they are allowed to go wherever they want, so we ate, then played a game of basketball in the gym. The day felt very short, probably due to the short classes.
After school, her driver brought us home and we slept until 7 pm. It was really cool to see school in another culture. Living with a host family has been a great experience so far. They have been very nice and I feel at home when I am with them. Her mom cooks lots of delicious Arabic food every day, which I enjoy, such as Molokhiyya, which is a special herb only grown in the Middle East, and Koshary, a rice and pasta dish with spiced tomato sauce. 
My host is very close with a few of the other hosts, so we go out together. Two nights ago we went to Katara and the Pearl, which has lots of shops and restaurants. Night life in Doha is very buzzing and flashy. Everything is always lit up, even the skyscrapers are a colorful sight. It’s almost like a mini version of New York City.

I can’t wait to see what every day and night holds for me.

Photos to come... 

No comments:

Post a Comment